pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Feedback, Please: sorting threads by date of newest

From: Christian Lohmaier
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Feedback, Please: sorting threads by date of newest article
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 16:31:00 +0200

Hi Steve, *,

On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 11:11:46AM +0100, Steve Davies wrote:
> On 7/11/06, jef_e <address@hidden> wrote:
> >Artur Jachacy wrote:
> >
> >> Because that's not how it's been done. That should be reason enough.
>
> :) I can kind of agree with the sentiment...
>
> In fact I think that the sort by oldest/first in thread is appropriate
> for binary groups where the order that the posts in a thread STARTED
> arriving is appropriate to keep things grouped nicely. On the other
> hand a text-only group is often read more like email, and in email
> terms sort by most recent/last in thread is more appropriate so that
> newly updated threads are grouped.

I disagree. (Well, I'm used to the other sorting for a couple of years,
so maybe it is just trained behaviour that I like just because I always
did it that way....)

For that purpose, I'd more like a default filter "show threads with
unread messages"
That should do approx. the same as sorting by newest post but without
breaking the "tradidtional" sorting.

> Again, the ideal solution is probably a per-group setting - How about
> having the sort-by-date clicker have 4 states instead of two?

Well - I don't mind whether this is a per-group setting or not - as long
as I can turn it off :-)

> [...]

ciao
Christian