pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Previews gone screwy

From: walt
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Previews gone screwy
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 00:36:07 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 23:52:48 +0000, Greg Lee wrote:

> On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 19:40:47 +0000, walt wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 15:35:43 -0700, stevem wrote:
>>
>>> Sometime in the last week pan stopped perviewing binary images. The
>>> body pane shows just the top half or so of most images I download. I
>>> haven't upgraded pan lately so I suspect a library.  Anyone one know
>>> which library controls decoding or display?
>>
>> This problem was caused by a fix for a gdk-pixbuf bug 441443 back in
>> May. I just filed a new pan bug 483069 (not a duplicate, I hope).

> How did you figure that out, I wonder?  I reverted that gdk-pixbuf fix
> in gtk+-2.12.0 (by deleting the added line "context->jerr.error =
> error;"), but I find that the bug is still with me.

Using brute-force drudgery!  (Without beer I couldn't have done it ;o)

On my high-risk/devil-may-care gentoo test box I used svn to fetch the
gtk-trunk repository from gnome.org, and compiled and tested dozens of
gtk revisions, one by one, until I finally reproduced the bug.

I suspect the reason you didn't fix the bug is that the guilty commit was
made in late May while gtk was still in the 2.11.x phase, prior to 2.12.
(The file gdk-pixbuf/io-jpeg.c has been patched many times in 2007.)

If you want to reproduce this drudgery for yourself I'd be happy to give
you some important details, but in that case maybe we should switch to
the pan.devel list?