pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: freeze, high CPU getting new headers

From: walt
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: freeze, high CPU getting new headers
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 13:07:34 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 14:10:54 -0400, David Shochat wrote:

> ...All I can think of now is gcc version. There was a post from
> Matthijs Benschop on 8/2 that also suggested gcc. Here are the gcc
> versions:
>
> Ubuntu 8.04:
> gcc version 4.2.3 (Ubuntu 4.2.3-2ubuntu7)
>
> Mac OS X 10.5.4:
> gcc version 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5464)
>
> Could that be it?
> -- David

I just built this pan 0.133 from svn using exactly the same ubuntu 8.04
gcc version and I still see no such problem.

Describe again exactly what you see when updating headers, and when you
see it.  Does the header pane *ever* rethread, even once, at the end of
the first 10 seconds?

Have you tried strace during the long pause?  If you start pan in gdb
and hit Ctrl-C during the busy time you can type 'bt' to see what part
of the code is running at that point.  You need debugging symbols for
that, though.  Charles uses the -g flag by default to build pan, but
if the offending code is in some other library you won't get as much
info, but at least you can see what library the offending code belongs
to.