pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: clearing headers?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: clearing headers?
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 12:02:29 +0000 (UTC)

Yavor Doganov <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Tue, 07 Oct 2008
07:39:38 +0000:

> Oddly (or not), if you take out the linux-2.6 package from a "Linux"
> system, and replace it with FreeBSD's kernel, it runs!  It is the same
> "Linux" system, but there's no Linux there.  How come?

Ask a linguist.  GNU/Linux hasn't been and isn't likely to ever be
popular, because it's simply too long and inconvenient, both to say and
to write.  Thus, correct or not, "Linux" it becomes.  FWIW, that's what I
use in the general OS context as well.

OTOH, I'm familiar with the technical references, GNU/Solaris (GNU tools
and in particular, system library, on a Solaris kernel, GNU/FBSD (GNU
tools/syslib on a FreeBSD kernel) ulibc/Linux (micro-libc on a Linux
kernel), etc.  In that context, GNU/Linux has a specific technical
meaning, and I'll use it there.  However, that's not discussion of the OS
in general, but a technical description of two modules, each generally
interchangeable with others to create a *ix-like system, when used
together.

Of /course/ there's no single "true" Linux OS.  Correctly spoken, there's
no single "true" Linux kernel, either, as there are all sorts of
(generally friendly) forks.  It /is/ generally Free/Libre and Open Source
Software (FLOSS), after all.  But there's a lot of to a large degree
interchangeable Linux distributions, plus the freedomare BSDs, which I
often refer to as "distributions" in the generic sense as well, tho not
/Linux/ distributions.  I often use either of the terms FLOSS OS or Linux/
BSD to refer to the combined community as well, or simply *ix to refer to
the Unix/POSIX/Linux/BSD/OSX (for the *ix side of Apple's BSD based
offering) community, freedomware or proprietary.