pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: clearing headers?

From: Joe Zeff
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: clearing headers?
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 09:12:30 -0700

Chris Metzler wrote:
On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 07:39:38 +0000 (UTC)
Yavor Doganov wrote:
Sure, everyone is entitled to their own opinion -- I suggest you to
read the GNU/Linux FAQ for common irrational arguments of the people
who insist calling the system "Linux".

When you phrase it like that -- when your approach is simply to
immediately insult anyone who disagrees with you -- you destroy
your credibility.

It's also a type of logical fallacy called "ad homonim:" attacking your opponent instead of his arguments with the implication that since the person you're attacking is a rotten person, their arguments must be false.

When you do that, all that happens is the person you're
disagreeing with gets defensive, while everyone else watching who
doesn't yet have an opinion on the disputed issue files you away as
a crank.

Personally, when I see something like that, I come to the conclusion that whoever's doing it is a narrow-minded fanatic, shrug my shoulders and ignore them, but that's just me. Going back to the original comment about GNU/Linux, that claim would be more valid IMHMO if there were a distro calling itself "Linux" that *wasn't* using the GNU programs. Since there isn't, the term becomes a distinction without a difference.

--
Joe Zeff
If you can't play with words, what good are they?