pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Save attachment file permissions

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Save attachment file permissions
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 23:35:32 +0000 (UTC)

walt <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Thu, 19 Feb 2009 15:22:53
+0000:

> I just looked at Gravity source code and it's obviously still a true
> Windows application.  Far more likely than either hypothesis is that the
> perp simply forged his headers to cast suspicion on someone he doesn't
> like :o)
>
> I can't imagine the intended victim of a Windows app posted with *ix
> file perms.  Such an audience would be too small to bother about, I'd
> think:  a *ix user who is sophisticated enough to set wine up to run a
> .exe by clicking on it?  Like hens teeth, I imagine, and most likely
> much too smart to fall for it in the first place.

The thing is, however, that UUE includes the file permission field, and
even Windows apps will need to put /something/ there.  My question would
be what gravity puts there, and where it gets it (some config option, a
default, asks each time, looks to see if it's an exe and adds exe perms,
what?).

But you're right about faked headers, except Giga is going to have it
nailed to a specific account in any case.  But they're the only one who
will and without that info the user could frame someone else posting from
giga.