pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] How would I debug Pan (intermittently) sending posts in

From: Rock
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] How would I debug Pan (intermittently) sending posts in triplicate?
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 06:38:50 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 09 Jul 2013 13:54:16 +0000, Duncan wrote:

> It's worth noting here that in current pan, the option to let the server
> assign message-id is gone.  Pan always assigns a message-id now, but does
> have an option to let you set the domain used in the message-id if you
> like.  Perhaps this sort of trouble is one reason why that option
> disappeared.

Hi Duncan,

Hmmmmmm....

Currently, in Pan 0.135, I had to set the following in the
~/.pan2/preferences.xml:
Change from:
<flag name='add-message-id-header-when-posting' value='false'/>
Change to:
<flag name='add-message-id-header-when-posting' value='true'/>

And, in the Pan "Edit->Edit Posting Profiles" GUI, I had to add a
supposedly unique fully qualified domain name (FQDN) in the
"Message-ID Domain Name=domain.is.invalid" field ...
resulting in a ~/.pan2/posting.xml of the syntax:

    <profile name="Foo)">
      <username>foo bar</username>
      <address>address@hidden</address>
      <server>2</server>
      <attribution>On %d, %n wrote:</attribution>
      <fqdn>domain.is.invalid</fqdn>
    </profile>

The result of those two actions, is a Message-ID generated by Pan
of the following address@hidden format:

The problem, of course, is that I'm no expert in generating message IDs, and,
truth be told, I'm an unwilling message-id generator (as I'm forced to do this,
and only for aioe and not for any of the other half-dozen news servers I use).

The hope, of course, is that this user-generated Message-ID "is" unique;
otherwise, the result would be dropped messages at the news server.

Given your initial statement that this feature is no longer available
in the latest Pan, what would you change in the procedure above for
Pan 0.139 were it to compile on Centos?