pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] How would I debug Pan (intermittently) sending posts in

From: Rock
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] How would I debug Pan (intermittently) sending posts in triplicate?
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 06:57:15 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 09 Jul 2013 13:54:16 +0000, Duncan wrote:

> Of course if pan's not setting the message-ids but instead letting the
> server do it, both it and the server have far less to go on when they try
> to pick up the pieces from the lost connection.

Hi Duncan,
Thank you for that excellent and patient explanation!

This is the crux of the matter, and it makes sense in light of the
observations. I'm not sure why this only happens with aioe (since I
also get flaky connections, at times, (from, for example,
reader.news4all.se), but, it does fit the model of what appears
to be happening.

Basically, Pan isn't getting the response it wants; so it keeps
sending the message, and aioe eventually gets three duplicate
messages, which, it (erringly) creates a message ID for each, and
post them.

Then, if that happens enough (as per Aioe's algorithm), they ban
my IP address for a week or two, awaiting my fix of the problem.

Luckily, forcing Pan to create a Message ID with a date and time
and a legitimate FQDN (of domain.is.invalid), solves the problem
because now, both Pan and the server know there is only one
message involved.