pan-users

[Pan-users] How would I debug Pan (intermittently) sending posts in trip

From: Rock
Subject: [Pan-users] How would I debug Pan (intermittently) sending posts in triplicate?
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2013 05:11:42 +0000 (UTC)

Have you ever seen this problem (and do you have insight into the cause)?

I'm using Pan 0.135, which is the latest easily possible on Centos6 (long story)
and, at times, but only with aioe.org:119, I end up with triplicate posts, each
with its own message id, generally sent within the span of a few seconds to
a minute, based on the time stamps.

I can generally tell when this is going to happen, because when I hit the
File->Send Article (or Control Return), Pan, when set up by default to not
create a message ID, hangs saying "sending", for, oh, about 30 seconds or
so, and then it ends up sending three exact messages all with different
message ids.

The weird thing is that it doesn't happen frequently (but it's embarrassing
when it does happen); and that it only happens with aioe.org:119 (and, from
a look at the event log, in general, it seems to happen when there are
numerous connection errors with aioe.org such that I often resort to setting
aioe to 0 connections just to quiet down the log file.

Through extensive work on the aioe side, we've ruled out that AIOE is
creating the three messages (they're actually receiving three separate
messages)
and, in fact, when it happens too much, they ban me for a week or two (so there
are negative repercussions from what Pan is doing wrongly).

What I "think" is happening, is this sequence (but I can't prove it):
a) Pan experiences intermittent connection errors
b) Pan sometimes sends single messages, and sometimes sends triplicate messages.
c) The aioe server is the innocent recipient of multiple messages, and creates
   multiple message IDs for those messages

After experiencing this anomaly perhaps a dozen times in the past year,
I gave up trying to debug (because I just don't know how); and simply set
Pan so that it created a (hopefully unique) message ID. It took about two
weeks before aioe let me back on - and then, now, with Pan setting unique
message IDs, the problem went away. So, in a sense, it's 'solved'.

But, I ask, in the general sense: Have you seen something similar?
Do you know how to debug why Pan is sending messages in triplicate?