Re: [Social-discuss] Which of four projects are we doing?

From: Rob Myers
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Which of four projects are we doing?
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 16:48:25 +0000

On 27/03/10 16:40, Henry Litwhiler wrote:

> I have to agree with Carlo. PHP is all well and good for creating a
> graphical, browser-based frontend, but we are going to need a strong
> backend application in C or Python.

We can compile the PHP with Facebook's PHP compiler if we need C. ;-)

> We don't want users buying web hosting to host their GNU Social
> installs. If we do that, it becomes (effectively) a /service/, that they
> have to /pay for/ to use. That simply should not have to happen.

That would be paying for computing time rather than for access to
software. Which is fine.

The reason for using PHP is to ensure that people can run the software
as widely as possible. That is a practical objective to help protect
people's freedom to use the software. This is a project focussed on
freedom, so that's the overriding consideration.

- Rob.