Re: [Social-discuss] Which of four projects are we doing?

From: Carlo von Loesch
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Which of four projects are we doing?
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 18:37:10 +0100 (CET)

Henry Litwhiler typeth:
| Yeah, the round-robin approach should work. It is going to be a /very/
| small amount of data being sent - just enough so that every user knows
| that something has been posted.

The amount of data isn't so much the problem, but having recipients come
back to pick up the news is a lot more traffic - getting TCP connections
organized, especially with HTTP that isn't bidirectional. Why have them
come back to you if they can have the info immediately with close to no latency?

| We don't want users buying web hosting to host their GNU Social
| installs. If we do that, it becomes (effectively) a /service/, that they
| have to /pay for/ to use. That simply should not have to happen.

Huh.. that would throw us back to DHTs or cloud service things sponsored
by nice people. I don't see any architecture work without any servers at
all.

--
___ psyc://psyced.org/~lynX ___ irc://psyced.org/welcome ___
___ xmpp:address@hidden ____ https://psyced.org/PSYC/ _____