Re: [Social-discuss] Which of four projects are we doing?

From: Henry Litwhiler
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Which of four projects are we doing?
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 12:54:58 -0400

On 3/27/10 12:48 PM, Rob Myers wrote:
On 27/03/10 16:40, Henry Litwhiler wrote:

I have to agree with Carlo. PHP is all well and good for creating a
graphical, browser-based frontend, but we are going to need a strong
backend application in C or Python.

We can compile the PHP with Facebook's PHP compiler if we need C. ;-)

The only reason we would do that is if we need speed, which we don't. I'm saying we need something that can actually run on a computer rather than be served via a web server.

We don't want users buying web hosting to host their GNU Social
installs. If we do that, it becomes (effectively) a /service/, that they
have to /pay for/ to use. That simply should not have to happen.

That would be paying for computing time rather than for access to
software. Which is fine.

The reason for using PHP is to ensure that people can run the software
as widely as possible. That is a practical objective to help protect
people's freedom to use the software. This is a project focussed on
freedom, so that's the overriding consideration.

I'm just saying that users should be able to easily run it on their own computers, so buying external hosting should be completely unnecessary.
- Rob.