Re: [Social-discuss] Which of four projects are we doing?

From: Blaine Cook
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Which of four projects are we doing?
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 16:56:08 +0000

On 27 March 2010 16:40, Henry Litwhiler <address@hidden> wrote:
> We don't want users buying web hosting to host their GNU Social installs. If
> we do that, it becomes (effectively) a service, that they have to pay for to
> use. That simply should not have to happen.

SMTP is exactly this sort of protocol. Some users buy email hosting;
others use dynamic DNS to host their installs at home, while others
have servers that they use to host their email servers.

I don't see a problem with this approach. It means that users that
want to host their own can, while those who don't want to host their
own don't have to.

b.