Re: [Social-discuss] Upgrading from Statusnet to GNU Social - when can u

From: Bob Jonkman
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Upgrading from Statusnet to GNU Social - when can users work with it?
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2017 17:56:29 -0400

This is not an answer to your question :-(

I'm running StatusNet v1.1.0 with the v1.1.1 security patch manually
applied. I considered upgrading, but I also want to switch to httpS,
so I'll be biting the bullet and switching instances.

It means I'll need to re-subscribe to everyone I want to follow, but I
can handle that. After the bifurcation (when Identi.ca switched to
Pump.io software) and I started to run my own instance, I was
surprised at myself in that I didn't miss any of the previous
messages. The stream of current messages is far more important to me
than re-reading what happened in the past.

I do worry that when I switch the !Fedgroups that I host will need to
be re-created, and people will need to re-subscribe to the groups on
the new instance. But I've been reassured by a couple of Fedizens that
that's acceptable, since everyone will be getting httpS out of the deal.

- --Bob  @address@hidden

On 2017-07-17 05:13 PM, Michael Vogel wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Currently I'm upgrading my old Statusnet instance to GNU Social
> stable.
>
> The upgrade script is now running for more than 24 hours and is
> still converting entries of the "file" table. It seems as if this
> will last for another week.
>
> So the question is: Is it already safe for my users to work on my
> instance although it is only upgraded half way?
>
> Will it work - with the limitation that old data won't be
> accessible?
>
> I don't like to shut down my instance for more than one week, so I
> would like to use any possible shortcut.
>
> Michael

- --
Bob Jonkman <address@hidden>          Phone: +1-519-635-9413