Re: [Social-discuss] Upgrading from Statusnet to GNU Social - when can u

From: Mikael Nordfeldth
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Upgrading from Statusnet to GNU Social - when can users work with it?
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2017 14:22:48 +0200

Sorry Michael I double-mail, but I apparently missed the "reply to list"
feature in mutt :)

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 11:13:58PM +0200, Michael Vogel wrote:
> The upgrade script is now running for more than 24 hours and is still
> converting entries of the "file" table. It seems as if this will last
> for another week.

Aye, there's a lot of "files"...

> So the question is: Is it already safe for my users to work on my
> instance although it is only upgraded half way?
>
> Will it work - with the limitation that old data won't be accessible?

Once the upgrade has passed db schema upgrades it should be perfectly safe to
use it, after which just a bunch of tidying up is done.

What's the latest log output? If it's done with the "urlhash" fields, I think
you're safe to run the instance with the new code.

Also, old data is stored in the same tables that get converted. So it's not a
case of "can I run without access to old data?", though in some cases that can
be the practical consequence. However it's more likely that stuff just won't
work all that well ;) (the likelihood of working well is however larger when
the core and plugin schemas are done)

--
Forgot where I put my signature.