Re: [STUMP] Re: Lisp crashes with stumpwm

From: Luca Capello
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Re: Lisp crashes with stumpwm
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 23:44:44 +0100

Hi Milan!

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 23:15:17 +0100, Milan Zamazal wrote:

>     MM> I'm running StumpWM from the git repository on Debian testing
>     MM> (lenny?) i386.  I'm using SBCL 0.9.16 (default packaged
>     MM> version). I don't have any issues, but I'm new to StumpWM (and
>     MM> LISP in general), so what I'm running is pretty much "out of the
>     MM> box". No extra timers or anything like that.
>
> Thank you for information, perhaps I could try to run StumpWM without
> the extra timers in the meantime.  It may also be a 64-bit issue (I run
> amd64).

I guess you run Debian unstable, since SBCL-1.0.12 isn't available
through backports [1].  Today Peter Van Eynde uploaded SBCL-1.0.13 to
unstable, can you check if the problem persists, please?

>     TH> Do you use a SBCL compiled with multithreading support?
>
> I use the standard Debian sbcl package, it is multithreaded.
>
>     TH> If yes this might be the problem.  (See "What lisps does StumpWM
>     TH> currently work on?  Which one should I choose?" in the FAQ.)
>
> Yes, I've seen this, but I'd prefer to get the problems fixed rather
> than using such workarounds :-).  So I'd like to know whether someone
> has experienced similar problems and whether they are known to SBCL
> developers.

FWIW, the Debian StumpWM package works fine on my sid-amd64, but I don't
use the modeline.  I don't usually reboot very often and so the StumpWM
session survives different suspend/hibernation cycles with no problems.
The Debian package is quite old, since it marks the end of the CVS
repository (which happened on September 8th, 2007).  I already planned a
new upload from the git repository, but other things got my free time.

It would be interesting to know if your problem is also present in the
Debian StumpWM package, can you check it, please?

> In case of using workaround, then instead of recompiling SBCL for
> StumpWM I'd prefer using clisp Debian package.  But it didn't work for
> me too -- again, is the problem known or should it be reported to CLISP
> developers?

I remember having tried the git repository with Debian CLISP back in
October 2007 [2], but I don't remember any particular problem.  OTOH, I
used it only for some tests and no everyday life (like with SBCL).

> And of course, if there is an alternative to making a custom SBCL
> installation, I'd still like to know :-).

This is quite simple, but not my advice: every time a new SBCL version
is uploaded to Debian, you need to recompile it.

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca

Footnotes:
[1] http://www.backports.org