Re: [STUMP] Re: Lisp crashes with stumpwm

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Re: Lisp crashes with stumpwm
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 09:58:10 +0100

Milan Zamazal <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Milan,

>     TH> Do you use a SBCL compiled with multithreading support?
>
> I use the standard Debian sbcl package, it is multithreaded.
>
>     TH> If yes this might be the problem.  (See "What lisps does
>     TH> StumpWM currently work on?  Which one should I choose?" in the
>     TH> FAQ.)
>
> Yes, I've seen this, but I'd prefer to get the problems fixed rather
> than using such workarounds :-).  So I'd like to know whether someone
> has experienced similar problems and whether they are known to SBCL
> developers.  I could find "my" traceback on a web recently, but just
> as an isolated reference from some IRC discussion, i.e. the poster
> (and contingent result) is unknown to me.  Perhaps (s)he is around
> here?

That's probably me (tsdh).  I've switched from multithreaded SBCL to a
singlethreaded one half a year ago and since clisp 2.42 came out, I use
that.

With the multithreaded SBCL I had locks every few minutes.  Using timers
seemed to make it even worse.  I think sabettes tried to locate the
source of the problem and asked the SBCS hackers, but it seems no
solution was found.

> In case of using workaround, then instead of recompiling SBCL for
> StumpWM I'd prefer using clisp Debian package.  But it didn't work for
> me too -- again, is the problem known or should it be reported to
> CLISP developers?

You need at least clisp 2.42 compiled with new-clx.  I don't know what
debian ships.

Bye,
Tassilo