Re: [STUMP] (sub-modules) / Contrib

From: Sam Kleinman
Subject: Re: [STUMP] (sub-modules) / Contrib
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 10:27:25 -0500

On Sunday, February 09 2014, 08:05:20, David Bjergaard wrote:
> * Modules going forward must be asdf load-able and hence quicklisp compatible.
> * Module loading can be a matter of (ql:quickload "stump-module")
> * Module distribution can happen either via quicklisp's
>   quicklisp-projects on github, or you can "git clone" the source into
>   ~/quicklisp/local-projects depending on the module author's taste
> * (load-module "blah") should be able to check a minimum stumpwm
>   version, and handle the (ql:quickload "") for you (as well as loading
>   any dependencies)
>
> I wrote up a use case here: https://github.com/sabetts/stumpwm/wiki/Modules

My primary lingering concern is about packaging and distribution. While
I suspect most users use Stump by installing it from git, I think that
we should be able to ship "binary" packages that don't depend on having
quicklisp (or even really lisp itself) installed on their system.

Why? This works great with people installing via a package manager, and
I think does a *lot* to lower the barrier to entry for new users. While
I think most users will eventually compile themselves, I think it's
disadvantageous to insist that everyone *must* be a devoted
common-lipser to use stump.

I think the packaging discussion is larger and more expansive than the
discussion about contrib (and we don't have to solve all the pieces of
packaging now,) but I want to make sure that there's a path for people
who use stump but *don't* have quicklisp installed to be able to access
some of contrib (particularly if contrib ends up containing a
significant amount of Stump functionality.)

Cheers,
sam

--
Sam Kleinman (tychoish):