Re: [STUMP] (sub-modules) / Contrib

From: J. David Smith
Subject: Re: [STUMP] (sub-modules) / Contrib
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 01:40:54 -0500

I think most novice users will be pulling things in from a package manager if they are able to on their distro.

If the distro doesn't have a quicklisp package, it would make sense to create one and have it pulled in automatically. After all, quicklisp *is* a dependency. It makes sense to use a system designed to handle that (package manager) to deal with it.

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 1:36 AM, Michael Raskin <address@hidden> wrote:

>So just to be clear: we should totally use ASDF, and using ASDF is
>enough for quicklisp. I think quicklisp is a good thing, and I think
>that all or most of the *current* hard core stump users are also
>quicklisp users. That's great. I just want to make sure that when we
>design the workflow for installing contrib modules we have something
>that makes sense for users who aren't necessarily like us.
>
>(I think the emacs analogy is decent. And to be fair, I compile emacs
>myself, from sources but I don't expect that other people will do the
>same.)

May I ask a simple question?

Can't we build QuickLisp into the StumpWM binary for novice users?