Re: [STUMP] (sub-modules) / Contrib

From: David Bjergaard
Subject: Re: [STUMP] (sub-modules) / Contrib
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 10:29:54 -0500

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all of your thoughtful input.  I think we/I might be
confusing some issues.

To be crystal clear: Quicklisp *will not* be incorporated into stumpwm
core in any shape or form.  Power users are free to use
quicklisp to load code in their stumpwmrc, but we will not require
stumpwm-core or modules to have quicklisp installed.

Modules are currently imported with a call to (load), work needs to be
done to make current modules their own ASDF packages.  Then they will be
loaded with a call to (asdf:load-system).  The end users will still load
stump extensions with (load-module "blah").

With these operating points, debating the use of quicklisp doesn't make
sense.  Quicklisp is a method for obtaining lisp source code.

How you get your source code shouldn't matter to stumpwm, you should be
able to add multiple directories to *contrib-dir* the same way you add
directories to emacs' load-path. I think that this is the most flexible
way we can support extensions from multiple sources (different linux
distros, quicklisp, git repos, or even tarballs from an author's
website).

This debate is getting a little far from the original point: decouple
contrib from stumpwm core so that module developers can have their code
used independent of the stumpwm development cycle.

I apologize if I've mislead anyone, I'm still learning the particulars
of quicklisp, asdf, and stumpwm in parallel.  I hope everyone agrees on
the above points so we can move forward and "hack the good hack."

Cheers,

    Dave