Re: [Swarm-Modelling] lifecycle requirements

From: glen e. p. ropella
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] lifecycle requirements
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 11:17:02 -0800

That's very cute, Marcus.

Try reading my whole message in context.  Perhaps the reason you
repeatedly belittle my posts is because you're not reading the whole
post?  I'm quite a bit tired of the sniping.  Having a modeling
conversation on this list is like pulling teeth even _without_  you
sniping at everything I say.  Perhaps you just want me to quit trying to
participate entirely?  If so, please just state it outright and, since
you're the primary representative of the SDG, I will stop posting to
this mailing list.

Marcus G. Daniels wrote:
> glen e. p. ropella wrote:
>> Defobj _does_ amount to that sort of
>> coarse-grained construction; but, a more general data-driven filtering
>> system would not.  The operators do not have to be limited to the
>> run-time assembly of methods.
>>
> "Filtering", as you can see below, is concerned with taking away.
> There's nothing that requires, for example, a template made of molecules
> to be broken up into a subset of molecules.   The template can be formed
> from scratch from atoms.
>
> Main Entry: fil·ter
> Function: noun
> Etymology: Middle English filtre, from Medieval Latin filtrum piece of
> felt used as a filter, of Germanic origin; akin to Old High German filz
> felt -- more at FELT
> 1 a : a porous article or mass (as of paper or sand) through which a gas
> or liquid is passed to separate out matter in suspension b : an
> apparatus containing a filter medium
> 2 a : a device or material for suppressing or minimizing waves or
> oscillations of certain frequencies (as of electricity, light, or sound)
> b : a transparent material (as colored glass) that absorbs light of
> certain wavelengths or colors selectively and is used for modifying
> light that reaches a sensitized photographic material -- called also
> color filter
> 3 : something that has the effect of a filter (as by holding back
> elements or modifying the appearance of something) <his work is too
> often viewed through the filter of race -- Brent Staples>

I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way. --
Mark Twain