Re: [Swarm-Modelling] lifecycle requirements

From: Scott Christley
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] lifecycle requirements
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 20:08:50 -0500

On Nov 25, 2006, at 6:26 AM, glen e. p. ropella wrote:

My question to the list is:  What, if any, modeling level requirements
do you think are important and does the outline I provide above target it?

A major requirement to me is how models are to be specified. And I don't mean what language, programming or otherwise, that it is encoded in. Should models be specified declaratively or imperatively? (Glen, I'm not sure how this relates to your synthetic vs inductive) Declarative means you say "what" while imperative says "how". Most programming is imperative, people who are experts at making computers do things know the best way "how" to make them do things. Because simulation is programming task, it is easy for the modeling to get overwhelmed by the "how" of programming. However, I don't think this is the best way to do modeling.

My requirement is that you never specify a single model, you specify a space of models. And you do this by declaratively specify "what" you want the model to produce through a set of observations, experiments, assumptions, axioms, etc. All of these declarations work together to constrain the infinite space of models down to a finite set of models, these models then become hypotheses which you test through simulation i.e. you run simulations for each model to produce outcomes. Sometimes you can throw out additional models because they produce unrealistic outcomes, while the realistic one now provide experiments which can (hopefully) be performed against the real phenomena.

Scott