Re: [Swarm-Modelling] lifecycle requirements

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] lifecycle requirements
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 19:28:39 -0700

Scott Christley wrote:
All of these declarations work together to constrain the infinite space of models down to a finite set of models, these models then become hypotheses which you test through simulation i.e. you run simulations for each model to produce outcomes.
One thing I find hard is recognizing variants of my own hypotheses. For example, "Oh, it's the density of FOO in BAR" vs. "the size of the space is X, let's make it Y instead" (holding the number objects Z constant)... and really be talking about the same change to the system. Such a declarative system would be great, especially if it would propose simulations to run (and also point out ones that would be stupid, wasteful, or suspiciously like others that already had been run). Part of this is embracing some formality in expressing theories. It would be nice if it could also instantiate the simulations too...