Re: [Tinycc-devel] Re: TCC:cannot find -l"xyz.dll"

From: lostgallifreyan
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Re: TCC:cannot find -l"xyz.dll"
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 21:42:16 +0100

grischka <address@hidden> wrote:
(06/04/2009 19:48)

>> Separating Windows info from the rest I don't know about.. Might
>> be less daunting to make transitions if instead those things common
>> to all are placed first, to ease later changes. I think the
>> simplification of the quick start examples has implications for
>> stuff like paths. It's ok to let Windows and Linux users be expected
>> to figure out how their own system paths work, but also it is
>> worth directly stating, very early, that TCC can be passed to Windows
>> by a DOS path, but that things should be passed to TCC by quoted
>> full long name paths. That assertion would save a lot of time for
>> newcomers. Trust me,
>
>No, I don't trust you.  I just type
>
>       tcc hello_win.c
>
>and it works.  Why should we recommend horrible stuff like
>"DOS path" and "quoted full long name paths" to newcomers?

Because that is what works in Windows. If it shouldn't be said as a general
thing, it can still be pointed out in a Windows specific place. That's what I
said 'trust me' about anyway, not the point you answered. If Windows specific
stuff is put deep in the file under a heading that might not be obvious to
start with, that should be signposted early.

In Windows it's common practise to drag a file to a DOS window, where the file
path will write to the input. This might work for TCC's command input too in
WXP, I don't know, but not in W9X, and neither OS uses case sensitivity in
paths. Most command line tools for Windows work around this, TCC doesn't, so
it's reasonable to expect that this is pointed out somewhere. The simplest way
is to stress the need for full, case sensitive quoted paths, as that's the
standard way Windows users are told, from what I've seen over the last ten
years or so.

If the basic starting methods for TCC are explicitly described for Windows, the
sooner newcomers can fire it up and the sooner we can be expected to figure out
what are our own errors. Until it runs and compiles something, all bets are
off, from our point of view. I'm not asking for free fish, only a guide to get
immediately experience of a working rod.