Re: [Tinycc-devel] Re: TCC:cannot find -l"xyz.dll"

From: grischka
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Re: TCC:cannot find -l"xyz.dll"
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 00:06:12 +0200

lostgallifreyan wrote:
grischka <address@hidden> wrote:
No, I don't trust you.  I just type

        tcc hello_win.c

and it works.  Why should we recommend horrible stuff like
"DOS path" and "quoted full long name paths" to newcomers?

Because that is what works in Windows. If it shouldn't be said as a general thing, it can still be pointed out in a Windows specific
place.

I believe you that it works.  However typing just "tcc hello_win.c"
works too.  So why make it more complex than it needs to be?

In Windows it's common practise to drag a file to a DOS window, where the file path will write to the input. This might work for TCC's command
input too in WXP, I don't know, but not in W9X, and neither OS uses
case sensitivity in paths.

With my Windows I cannot "drag a file to a DOS window".  How can
it be common practice then?

Most command line tools for Windows work around this,

Sorry, how do they work around what?

TCC doesn't, so it's reasonable to expect that this is pointed out somewhere. The
simplest way is to stress the need for full, case sensitive quoted
paths, as that's the standard way Windows users are told, from what
I've seen over the last ten years or so.

If the basic starting methods for TCC are explicitly described for Windows, the sooner newcomers can fire it up and the sooner we can
be expected to figure out what are our own errors.

But the basic starting method for TCC is typing "tcc", on windows
just as anywhere else.

Until it runs and compiles something, all bets are off, from our point of view. I'm not asking for free fish, only a guide to get
immediately experience of a working rod.

But you can get an immediate experience with the examples, no?

--- grischka