Re: [Tinycc-devel] Re: TCC:cannot find -l"xyz.dll"

From: lostgallifreyan
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Re: TCC:cannot find -l"xyz.dll"
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 00:32:32 +0100

grischka <address@hidden> wrote:
(08/04/2009 19:29)

>lostgallifreyan wrote:
>> Yep, drag and drop. >:) Very useful. Open an 'Explorer' window to browse
> > to what-have-you, then drag it to a DOS window where it autowrites a path.
>
>Very useful?!? Sorry, but I really doubt your workflow.
>
>Before I'd type "tcc " and then open an explorer and then grab file.c
>with the mouse and then drop it and then press <enter> I typed just
>"tcc file.c<enter>" five times.

When I hung around on a forum for a year or more I went from hunt-and-peck
typing to being near able to argue in realtime. One guy said he knew when I was
really incensed because the typographical error count dropped as speed
continued to rise. :) That aside, this IS the way I work, as I described, at
least until I need the kind of speed and repeatability you're talking about,
then I use a batch file I can fire with a double-click. I have an arthritic
elbow and it helps to use different motions. Typing fast isn't enough to
maintain an even strain over hours of work, I need the different kinds of
movement. If a GUI offers that possibility, I use it.

>And then nobody runs a compiler from a DOS box, really.  In real
>life you'd use an editor or an IDE where you press one key and
>TCC is done with your program before you even release the key.
>Then you'd press another key to try out and run the result.

Not a problem. Ctrl/S to save, double-click to compile, double-click other file
to run. The tiny differences in the procedure amount to very little compared to
the differences I'd have to wade through if I switched to an editor I disliked.
I use TextPad, for pretty much everything. I'm sure it has hotkey options to do
what you suggest but I've never needed to set them up. I was using wxLua till
now... I'd have the script in an Explorer window, use Alt/Tab to swap to that
window and hit enter to run the saved script. I 'think' the sequences as single
moves, it's no harder than picking something off s shelf. Limiting stuff to
unique keys ends up with lots more individual keys to remember. Not to mention
cluttered interfaces in tools designed according to such logic. Look at the
difference in design between UltraEdit and TextPad to see what I mean. I've
tried both, and TextPad always wins for me. Fewer controls, but the small
combinations of commands to do stuff mean it's taster, for me anyway, it fits
with how I do things.