Re: [Tinycc-devel] OT (Re: modern c++ compiler written in C)

From: u-tcc-uepj
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] OT (Re: modern c++ compiler written in C)
Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 21:53:23 +0200

On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 07:32:02PM +0000, address@hidden wrote:
> > Historical research - yes. Any practical application -
> > only at one's own risk, left to the discretion of AT&T to wipe one out
> > of existence or not.
>
> Due to this legal issue, cfront is not worth it.
>
> Any other alternative?

cfront showed us a usable C++ dialect and also a proof that such a
dialect can be efficiently implemented by a translator to C.

This means that the effort to recreate such a translator from scratch
- would be useful, as a compact and extremely fast compiler
  for a practical subset of C++
- is realistically doable

This is my feeling about the best or the only possible way to
combine many of the attractive features of tcc and C++/OOP.

An easier but much less certain way would be to try to talk to someone at
AT&T - this would be certainly a lot more efficient, _if_ it could work.

Rune