[Traverso-devel] Zooming/cursor (was Drag + snap)

From: Niklas Klügel
Subject: [Traverso-devel] Zooming/cursor (was Drag + snap)
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 02:57:29 +0100

Moin,

> Morning :-P
>
>> So how is the snap "granularity" set? i mean, sometimes i just
>> want to move a clip one 1/16, sometimes just a quarter. what do
>> you think about setting the granularity at any time (while
>> dragging as well) with for example: [1] cut in half the current
>> grid density [2] double the current grid density [3] cut in third
>> the current grid density or more like third enable/disable [4]
>> disable/enable grid
>

> Humtiedum.... ah, grid, that would be great to have, no?
>
> Currently, only audioclip edges are snap points, the snap lut is
> created in SnapList class. I suppose some sort of grid thing,
> including the painting might be of great value!

yes, but that grid would only work if you had something like a measure.
say the normal grid granularity would be a bar, then you'd be able to snap
clips to the grid perfectly timed or you could disable the snap
functionality.
so doubling and halfing would be the equivalent of two bars measure
and a half bar measure.

>> maybe using a second key as modifier, as you said snap <S>. one
>> could add something similar for fast zooming into 1/1 1/2 etc...
>> which would pretty much rock.
>

> Not sure what you mean here, zooming into 1/1, 1/2 of what ?

a bar :)

>> this way working on clips and zooming in and around the
>> arrangement is somehow coherent and these are the two tools you
>> probably use most frequently while editing.
>

> My newest idea to zooming is that the startpoint of the zoom action
> keeps there, like you 'magnify' the point the cursor was at a
> certain moment, currently we zoom centered on the work cursor, but
> I don't like that....

which is exactly what i thought when i played around with zooming.
zooming vertically would be only of big useage when you start editing
envelopes.
zooming horizontally should be possible with the mouse as it is done
currently
but to fixed depths of zooming, it should be done via keyboard shortcuts.
like [1] double [2] half [3] a quarter bar a 1/16 bar etc. down to at
least 1/32
(i sometimes end up editing 1/256 just to manipulate single waveforms :P)

on the other hand, if we were to implement something like a "smart cursor"
where you can step through the grid with left/right-keys and up and
down to
go through the different tracks and supporting something like jumping from
one clip to the next via left/right keys, you probably want to have
zooming
enabled around the cursor position.

having both would be quite fancy. but of course this would add two
modes which can get sometimes quite confusing.

now that i think of it, this is more the issue of the cursor. say
traverso supports
tempo and bar stuff in the near future, you will also have something
like scenes
and a global loop widget thing which you can move over your arrangement
to indicate which part of the arrangement is looped when you hit play
and the cursor
gets into that area. like the old-skool L/R loop position indicators.
you surely dont want
to have editings bound on the current cursor position as it loops over
the part
of an arrangement you are editing. the solution to this would be
having two
cursors. one which you use for editing. you click into bar
123123.2.1.3 somewhere
on any track and the editing-cursor is put there.
the functionality is the same as mentioned above, zooming is fixed
to the edit-cursor position and the arrow-keys can be used to move it
around more precisely
respective to the grid granulariy. when you hit stop and start again
the play cursor is set
the the position of the editor-cursor. changing the playposition while
playing should be done
on the widget that shows the timeline/barline anyway (since you dont
want to mistakenly
change the playposition while you are editing).
this also means that the view should not follow the playcursor if not
especially demanded.
importing clips could also be done regarding the current edit
position. coming back to
the db stuff i mentioned, this could also replace the usual way of
simple copy and paste,
it would be more like put the edit cursor somewhere hit i, hit a
keyword or tag, press
enter and the clip would be exactly where you want it. add the
posibility to add
multiple clip selections into the db and using traverso would probably
be several
times quicker to use than any other program that i know of.
just as a side-note, i dont know _anyone_ who is editing his
arrangements while having the view
follow the playcursor. i say that because this makes the current
performance issues for
practical reasons negligible :) . from my experiences and looking over
how my friends
edit arrangements it is really usually done by laying out a basic
arrangement and then
looping over the scene you are editing on over and over while editing,
adding fx etc in realtime.

so long...
Niklas