Re: [Traverso-devel] trying latest CVS

From: Remon
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] trying latest CVS
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 13:07:15 +0100

> ALSA.
> By the way, is it hard to put in a menubox to choose the alsa devices
> (input and output)?

Not sure what you mean here, selecting one of the available sound cards, or
the so called subdevices of an audiocard, the playback/capture buses ?
The Settings page has the ability allready to choose full/half duplex mode,
but I think thats not what you have in mind....

> > Still weird you get a sigsegv on exit, is it reproducable ?
>
> Nope! Only sometimes.

Hmm, well, I know of some problems, when they are fixed, I'll let you know, if
it still happens, it would be great if you can run it in a debugger !

> I think it would be great if the Q menu could show *all* key actions
> that would do anything on the pointed area. The ones specific for that
> area could be on top, with a separator between them and the others.

In cvs, please see if it is what you had in mind, the way it is in cvs now is
kinda what I had in mind for some time now, but there is certainly room for
more improvements.

> >> - is the curve view supposed to work?
> >
> > Yes, < F2 >, and < F1 > to go back to edit view.
>
> But one can't draw any curves yet, since there's no plugin support? or
> do I need to enable lv2 support somewhere before building?

The curveview by default adds a gain curve to AudioClips, not to tracks right
now
The plugin vs gain/fader vs curve/plugin view didn't yield a clear view or
strategy, but currently I favor somewhat this solution:

* Only a plugin view, no dedicated curve view since that one only will show
1 - 2 gain curves anyways, and will be mostly a duplicate of the plugin view

* The gain (or fader if you like) of a Track/AudioClip is by default a Plugin
with a default value and a curve. The curve part is disabled by default, and
this fader plugin doesn't show up by default either in the plugin view

* When 'adding' the 'fader' plugin, to be able to draw a gain curve, the real
thing that happens is that it becomes visible, and the curve part becomes
active

* Adding other plugins can be done in the same way (<< P >> , or some other
action), so you get a clear view what is pre and post fader, since the fade
plugin will have special look (some kind of different color/shape)

A minor variant on the above: Always show the Fader plugin, but greyed out in
Plugin Mode.

The plugin framework works, there aren't LV2 plugins yet, which is the main
problem. Disabling LV2 support does only that, not the generic Plugin stuff.

> > Copy clip is a little broken I think, did it work for you ?
> > Might in fact be the problem of the sigsegv during exit.....
>
> It works here, even though it's hard to know where you actually put the
> copy...

Might be due Snap is still broken.

> > But you obviously have a point here. Painting the whole clip, or just its
> > contour, what do you think ?
>
> The whole clip, just like [D] drag!

Now you mention this, I think it might be the most easy way to first create a
copy, and then use the copy in the MoveClip class, like faking a [ D ]
action ;-)

> >> - i think it would be good to always play from the work cursor when
> >> pressing SPACE, but continuing from last playpos when pressing something
> >> other... (you most often want to replay a part instead of continuing)
> >
> > Anyone a suggestion on this one ?
>
> On the other hand, doing W and SPACE is quite fast too... So it's not a
> big problem.

What about << SPACE >> ?

> Yes, what do you want? =)

LOL, you don't wanna know, do you ? :-P