Re: [VM] VM is awesome (was vm-save-buffer)

From: John Stoffel
Subject: Re: [VM] VM is awesome (was vm-save-buffer)
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 17:23:48 -0500

Uday> I am only one person maintaining VM, and that limitation is not
Uday> going to disappear any time soon. I myself didn't have
Uday> "confidence" in VM after Kyle Jones retired. I regained it only
Uday> after I ensured that I could fix things myself if things went
Uday> wrong. So I can understand if people feel nervous about sticking
Uday> to VM.

I wish I could do more to program in elisp, but it's just not going to
happen.  Sorry.

Uday> In retrospect, I also see that I have been overly cautious about
Uday> making public releases. It has been mostly due to the way Linux
Uday> distributions function, allowing users to upgrade to a new
Uday> version with the click of a button. But all my prereleases have
Uday> been perfectly stable (except for one, which I had to re-release
Uday> a week later). In retrospect, all the prereleases could have
Uday> been public releases.

I think if you just setup a git repository with a beta branch, and
some stable branches, you'd be just fine.  Release lots of beta
attempts, but only a few release versions and things will be fine.

Uday> So, in future, you can expect more frequent public
Uday> releases. Whether it will be good or bad is another question.

Breaking things is ok, honestly!  I also hope that more frequent
updates, and maybe even more ability for people to clone and branch VM
will make development pickup again.

Who knows, maybe even I'll take up the mantle and learn (e)lisp enough
to program in it.  Stranger things have happened.  *grin*

And please know I do apprecaite all you've done Uday!

John