Re: [VM] VM is awesome (was vm-save-buffer)

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: [VM] VM is awesome (was vm-save-buffer)
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 16:53:28 +0000

Johan Vromans writes:

> However, when a mail folder gets big (more than 2000 messages or so)
> VM really slows down. With big IMAP folders it becomes painfully slow
> when saving (due to the local cache of 100+Mb) and autosave (or poll?)
> makes Emacs unresponsive for several seconds every couple of minutes.

I don't think the number of messages matters much, but the total size of the
folder make a difference because the entire folder is stored in the main
memory.

You can cut down the size of the folder by using "external messages"
(Section 1.4 of the VM Manual). I let my folders go up to 5000-6000
messages without any problem.

The autosave behaviour may vary between different Emacs versions. On Emacs
24.2, I don't get any pauses at all. My settings are:

(setq large-file-warning-threshold 100000000)
(setq auto-save-timeout 900)            ; default is 30
(setq auto-save-interval 1000)          ; up from the default of 300

Cheers,
Uday