Re: [VM] VM is awesome (was vm-save-buffer)

From: Johan Vromans
Subject: Re: [VM] VM is awesome (was vm-save-buffer)
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 20:51:58 +0100

On Thu, 5 Nov 2015 18:09:36 +0000
Uday Reddy <address@hidden> wrote:

> You will find it 8.2.0a and 8.2.0b prereleases:
>
>   https://launchpad.net/vm

Okay. Upgraded to 8.2.0b.

IMAP cache load time is still within a second. The cache is 130MB and
it takes approx. 15 seconds to save. This is roughly the same as with
VM version 8.1.2.

With external messages, the cache is only 15MB and saves acceptably fast.

Good.

BUT...

*** Initial load of the IMAP cache often stops after a number of messages:

Retrieving message 346 (of 1689) from Home:Inbox, 100%... [3 times]
Retrieval from Home:Inbox signaled: (vm-imap-protocol-error expected
(BODY[] string) in FETCH response) Retrieving message 346 (of 1689) from
Home:Inbox, 100%... Updating summary...
Parsing messages... done
Expunging messages in cache... done
348 messages, 0 new, 0 unread, 0 deleted

Hitting 'g' a number of times makes the loading complete.

*** I somehow lost my colours in the summary buffer.

*** Very annoying (and dangerous!) change in behavour:

In the summary window:
Assume message 1688 is selected (blue).
Click on message 1681, or move cursor to this message.

Type 'D' (delete). Message 1688 is marked for deletion.

In VM version 8.1.2, message 1681 would become selected and marked for
deletion.

The same thing happens with U (undo), MM etc.
Note that e.g. o (save) *does* operate on the message the cursor is on.

*** VM 8.2.0b is a prerelease and dates from Dec 27, 2011. It's been
unmodified for almost 4 years. So it is either rock stable (and should have
been officially released long ago), or it is dead.
From the manual: "Version 8.2.0, planned for release in August/September,
2010." Really?

Sorry, but this does not help me regain confidence in VM.

-- Johan