vile

Re: Has anyone tried compiling vile in termux?

From: Chris Green
Subject: Re: Has anyone tried compiling vile in termux?
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 15:41:42 +0100

On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 03:26:06PM +0100, Chris Green wrote:
> Has anyone tried building vile under termux?  It has a cc, make, etc. :-
>
>     u0_a166@bison$ which cc
>     /data/data/com.termux/files/usr/bin/cc
>     u0_a166@bison$ cc --version
>     clang version 12.0.0
>     Target: aarch64-unknown-linux-android24
>     Thread model: posix
>     InstalledDir: /data/data/com.termux/files/usr/bin
>     u0_a166@bison$ which make
>     /data/data/com.termux/files/usr/bin/make
>     u0_a166@bison$ make --version
>     GNU Make 4.3
>     Built for aarch64-unknown-linux-android
>     Copyright (C) 1988-2020 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>     License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later
>     <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
>     This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
>     There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
>
> A web search hasn't revealed anything, maybe I'll try myself (it's a
> *long* time since I built vile!).

OK, first hurdle failure:-

    u0_a166@bison$ ./configure
    checking build system type... ./config.guess: unable to guess system type

    This script, last modified 2009-12-30, has failed to recognize
    the operating system you are using. It is advised that you
    download the most up to date version of the config scripts from

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=config.git;a=blob_plain;f=config.guess;hb=HEAD
    and

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=config.git;a=blob_plain;f=config.sub;hb=HEAD

    If the version you run (./config.guess) is already up to date, please
    send the following data and any information you think might be
    pertinent to <config-patches@gnu.org> in order to provide the needed
    information to handle your system.

    config.guess timestamp = 2009-12-30

    uname -m = aarch64
    uname -r = 4.14.186
    uname -s = Linux
    uname -v = #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Jun 21 19:56:08 CST 2021

    /usr/bin/uname -p = unknown
    /bin/uname -X     =

    hostinfo               =
    /bin/universe          =
    /usr/bin/arch -k       =
    /bin/arch              =
    /usr/bin/oslevel       =
    /usr/convex/getsysinfo =

    UNAME_MACHINE = aarch64
    UNAME_RELEASE = 4.14.186
    UNAME_SYSTEM  = Linux
    UNAME_VERSION = #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Jun 21 19:56:08 CST 2021
    configure: error: cannot guess build type; you must specify one
    u0_a166@bison$

So what is my 'build type'?

Aha, a bit of searching suggests that:-

    ./configure --build=aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu

should work, it seems to be so far!

--
Chris Green