vile

Re: Has anyone tried compiling vile in termux?

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: Has anyone tried compiling vile in termux?
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 17:25:52 -0400

On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 04:17:43PM +0100, Chris Green wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 04:04:38PM +0100, Chris Green wrote:
> >     u0_a166@bison$ ./vile
> >     Bad system call
> >
> OK, a quick web search has found a solution, it runs OK in a chroot
> environment:-
>
>     u0_a166@bison$ termux-chroot ./vile
>
> I think I now need to rearrange things a bit so I always run termux in
> a termux-root[ed] enviroment.
>
> But anyway that was actually remarkably painless, not a single missing
> library and the fixes needed were fairly trivial.  I'm now even more
> impressed with both termux and vile! :-)

sounds good. I recall some older discussion which said that Android
only provided some Java emulation of the command-line - either that
was mistaken, or termux is newer.

just as a sanity-check, searching on "termux ncurses" shows that the
latter works - which means that vile ought to (since it uses similar
system features).

--
Thomas E. Dickey <dickey@invisible-island.net>
https://invisible-island.net