vile

Re: Has anyone tried compiling vile in termux?

From: Chris Green
Subject: Re: Has anyone tried compiling vile in termux?
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 18:20:26 +0100

On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 11:21:15AM -0400, Paul Fox wrote:
> chris wrote:
>  > On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 04:04:38PM +0100, Chris Green wrote:
>  > >     u0_a166@bison$ ./vile
>  > >     Bad system call
>  > >
>  > OK, a quick web search has found a solution, it runs OK in a chroot
>  > environment:-
>  >
>  >     u0_a166@bison$ termux-chroot ./vile
>  >
>  > I think I now need to rearrange things a bit so I always run termux in
>  > a termux-root[ed] enviroment.
>  >
>  > But anyway that was actually remarkably painless, not a single missing
>  > library and the fixes needed were fairly trivial.  I'm now even more
>  > impressed with both termux and vile! :-)
>  >
>  >
>  > Sorry for all the noise!
>
> Don't apologize!  Just about anything vile related is nice to
> hear about.  :-)  Especially if it means it's running in some new
> oddball environment.  I hadn't heard of termux before, so your
> monologue was worth it for that, even if for nothing else!  ;-)
>
> (I'm not quite sure what I'd _use_ termux for, but perhaps I'm not
> being imaginative enough.)

Thanks for the kind words. :-)

I run termux on my phone so I can access my home Linux system's
command line to read E-Mail, Usenet etc.  My home system runs as an
always on server and gets mail delivered to a traditional mail spool
by Postfix and also runs 'leafnode' a small NNTP server.  Thus I am
totally independent of gmail or anything like that.

I normally use my laptop to ssh to my home system to read E-Mail and
Usenet, Termux on Android just gives me a smaller, lighter way to do
the same if I don't have my laptop with me.

--
Chris Green