vile

Re: Has anyone tried compiling vile in termux?

From: Paul Fox
Subject: Re: Has anyone tried compiling vile in termux?
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 13:56:45 -0400

chris wrote:
 > I run termux on my phone so I can access my home Linux system's
 > command line to read E-Mail, Usenet etc.  My home system runs as an
 > always on server and gets mail delivered to a traditional mail spool
 > by Postfix and also runs 'leafnode' a small NNTP server.  Thus I am
 > totally independent of gmail or anything like that.
 >
 > I normally use my laptop to ssh to my home system to read E-Mail and
 > Usenet, Termux on Android just gives me a smaller, lighter way to do
 > the same if I don't have my laptop with me.

How is that experience different than, say, using an ssh client (I use
JuiceSSH) to connect to your home system?  (And I connect using mosh,
so the connection tends to stay up for days, if not weeks.)

(I think I was expecting you to describe using termux to navigate
the android filesystem, so you could use vile to edit config files and
ImageMagick to manipulate your photos.)

paul
paul fox, pgf@foxharp.boston.ma.us (arlington, ma, where it's 68.2 degrees)