www-it-traduzioni

Re: Fuzzy POs

From: Thérèse Godefroy
Subject: Re: Fuzzy POs
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 20:03:36 +0200

Le 13/10/2021 à 08:38, Dora Scilipoti a écrit :
> Hello Thérèse,
>
> you can go ahead. Don't hesitate to contact this list if you have any
> doubts.
>
> Thank you very much for your help!

Hello all,

Thanks for the green light!

I still have a few questions:

* Which style would be best for the quotes?
Since what it online now mostly looks like “...”, I will keep this style
for now (in UTF-8). It will be very easy to do a global change to «...»
in case you want to switch.

* Many quoted complete sentences have their full stop after the closing
quote. Is it correct? (The examples are from
copyright-and-globalization.it.po.)

> Come dice la canzone, “Il tempo non è denaro quando tutto ciò che hai è
> il tempo”.

> “Beh, sì, se un autore o un gruppo non vogliono passare attraverso di
> noi, non dovrebbe essergli richiesto dalla legge di farlo”.

* Is it correct to add a full stop after an interrogative sentence
between quotes or parentheses? (The examples are from
copyright-and-globalization.it.po and ebooks-must-increase-freedom.it.po.)

> Se si cambia una ricetta e la si prepara per gli amici ed a loro piace,
> questi potrebbero chiedere “Posso avere la ricetta?”.

> Alcuni utenti che stavano leggendo 1984 sul “Kindle” ebbero
> un'esperienza orwelliana: videro dileguarsi davanti ai propri occhi i
> loro ebook, dal momento che Amazon impiegò una cosiddetta “backdoor” per
> cancellarli a distanza (un rogo di libri virtuale; forse che sia questo
> il vero significato del termine “Kindle”?).

Here is what I have done:

1) Remove extra blank spaces (probably from the original conversion to
PO format), standardize quotes and dashes, + a few other fixes. The
script I used is attached.

2) Unfuzzify, fix wrong quotes (“...“ or ”...”), etc.
I added TODO markers to strings that may need checking (for example, the
untranslated title of a reference document) in POs that are otherwise up
to date.

3) Check the diffs and make sure the modified POs are valid and will
generate valid pages if they are up to date.
It turns out that 63 out of 74 POs are up to date.

The compressed diffs are 274kB and 182kB respectively. This is probably
too big for the mailing list, but I can send them to anyone interested.

Best,
Thérèse