www-it-traduzioni

Re: Fuzzy POs

From: Dora Scilipoti
Subject: Re: Fuzzy POs
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 10:52:42 +0200

Hello Thérèse,

On 10/13/21 8:03 PM, Thérèse Godefroy wrote:

> I still have a few questions:

Francesco, an Italian native speaker in the list, has answered some of
your points.

> * Which style would be best for the quotes?

He said that in Italian the traditional style for reported speech is «...».

> Since what it online now mostly looks like “...”, I will keep this style
> for now (in UTF-8). It will be very easy to do a global change to «...»
> in case you want to switch.

But I also see that published translations up to now use  mostly "...".
In order to fix that, we would need to identify each case to see which
are reported speech and which are not. I doubt the Italian team has the
capacity to do it right now, it's currently not very active.

So I'd say yes, leave things as they are except perhaps in those cases
of reported speech that you have already identified.

> * Many quoted complete sentences have their full stop after the closing
> quote. Is it correct? (The examples are from
> copyright-and-globalization.it.po.)

Francesco says that is correct. In Italian the full stop goes outside
the quotation marks, not inside as in English.

>> Come dice la canzone, “Il tempo non è denaro quando tutto ciò che hai è
>> il tempo”.

That is correct. But quotation marks should be «...».

>> “Beh, sì, se un autore o un gruppo non vogliono passare attraverso di
>> noi, non dovrebbe essergli richiesto dalla legge di farlo”.

Same here. Punctuation is correct but quotes should be «...».

> * Is it correct to add a full stop after an interrogative sentence
> between quotes or parentheses? (The examples are from
> copyright-and-globalization.it.po and ebooks-must-increase-freedom.it.po.)
>
>> Se si cambia una ricetta e la si prepara per gli amici ed a loro piace,
>> questi potrebbero chiedere “Posso avere la ricetta?”.

Correct, but «...».

>> Alcuni utenti che stavano leggendo 1984 sul “Kindle” ebbero
>> un'esperienza orwelliana: videro dileguarsi davanti ai propri occhi i
>> loro ebook, dal momento che Amazon impiegò una cosiddetta “backdoor” per
>> cancellarli a distanza (un rogo di libri virtuale; forse che sia questo
>> il vero significato del termine “Kindle”?).

Correct. Quotations here can be left as they are since it's not reported
speech.

> Here is what I have done:
>
> 1) Remove extra blank spaces (probably from the original conversion to
> PO format), standardize quotes and dashes, + a few other fixes. The
> script I used is attached.

OK, but nobody in the list seems to have checked the script, and I'm not
the right person for that.

> 2) Unfuzzify, fix wrong quotes (“...“ or ”...”), etc.
> I added TODO markers to strings that may need checking (for example, the
> untranslated title of a reference document) in POs that are otherwise up
> to date.

I suppose those markers will be easily found with grep after the POs are
committed, right?

> 3) Check the diffs and make sure the modified POs are valid and will
> generate valid pages if they are up to date.
> It turns out that 63 out of 74 POs are up to date.

Good news!

--
Dora Scilipoti
gnu.org/education