www-it-traduzioni

Re: Fuzzy POs

From: Thérèse Godefroy
Subject: Re: Fuzzy POs
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 12:06:25 +0200

Hello Dora, all,

Thanks for your detailed reply!

Le 14/10/2021 à 10:52, Dora Scilipoti a écrit :
> Hello Thérèse,
>
> On 10/13/21 8:03 PM, Thérèse Godefroy wrote:
>
>> I still have a few questions:
>

> Francesco, an Italian native speaker in the list, has answered some of
> your points.
>

>> * Which style would be best for the quotes?
>
> He said that in Italian the traditional style for reported speech is «...».
>
>> Since what it online now mostly looks like “...”, I will keep this style
>> for now (in UTF-8). It will be very easy to do a global change to «...»
>> in case you want to switch.
>
> But I also see that published translations up to now use  mostly "...".
> In order to fix that, we would need to identify each case to see which
> are reported speech and which are not. I doubt the Italian team has the
> capacity to do it right now, it's currently not very active.
>
> So I'd say yes, leave things as they are except perhaps in those cases
> of reported speech that you have already identified.

OK. I will fix speech quotes in a few articles that have plenty of
quotation marks, and leave the rest alone.

By the way, the Italian translations also use quotes for foreign words.
French italicizes them with <i> (not <cite> unless this is a book title).

>> * Many quoted complete sentences have their full stop after the closing
>> quote. Is it correct? (The examples are from
>> copyright-and-globalization.it.po.)
>
> Francesco says that is correct. In Italian the full stop goes outside
> the quotation marks, not inside as in English.

I also noticed that full sentences within parentheses have their full
stop outside the parentheses. This is correct too, right?

[...]

>> Here is what I have done:
>>
>> 1) Remove extra blank spaces (probably from the original conversion to
>> PO format), standardize quotes and dashes, + a few other fixes. The
>> script I used is attached.
>
> OK, but nobody in the list seems to have checked the script, and I'm not
> the right person for that.

I posted it for the record, in case someone wants to process another
directory. There is an error at line 36, by the way:

         s, \\"\. \. \.\\" , ... ,g
should be
         s, \\"\.\.\.\\" , ... ,g

(I only saw one instance of this quoted ellipsis.)

>> 2) Unfuzzify, fix wrong quotes (“...“ or ”...”), etc.
>> I added TODO markers to strings that may need checking (for example, the
>> untranslated title of a reference document) in POs that are otherwise up
>> to date.
>
> I suppose those markers will be easily found with grep after the POs are
> committed, right>
Yes, they are even easier to find with gnome-search-tool, for example.

[...]

I'm going to commit the POs that don't have speech quotes, then check
the rest again. It may not take as long as you think because, as I don't
know Italian, I am not tempted to proofread the text. :)