Re: [Adonthell-general] Sects and Factions

From: Benjamin Walther-Franks
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Sects and Factions
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 23:01:41 +0200

At Wednesday 21.08.2002 18:39, you wrote:

I'm not going to contradict Kai here, as his thoughts surely make sense and would be one way of doing it. I'll just utter some of my ideas, see what you guys think...

One of the main classifications of factions that I've come across is the
religious sect. I've outlined the major objects of worship for each race,
but I realized that before I can give names to these priestly orders, I
should probably give names to their gods. As yet, I have only titles for
the Mighty. Eventually, I'm going to have to name them all one way or
another, but for now my question is as follows: We've established that the
Dwarvish folk aren't terribly religious, so are they at all religious? Do
I need to think about priestly orders for the Dwarvish folk? I've already
kept their list of deities to a bare minimum.

Maybe the Dwarves could have gods. After all, there is some power flowing through their veins, with wich they cast their mystical runes onto objects of great power. Powerful runes could then be named after them ("Rune of Ghrudzak", etc.). Furthermore each god could stand for one virtue the dwarves hold dear ("Grudzak The Honourful", "Muzduk The Trusting", "Kalur The Strong"...). But as Kai rightly says, maybe the whole 'god'-issue is too abstract and these should be replaced by ancient forefathers, the founding fathers which in dwarf society have reached a sort of demi-god status. Just like the founding fathers you describe in your writing.

So every dwarf would devote himself to one of these founding fathers, probably each clan to one (?) Some might be more, some less convinced and influenced by their founding fathers teaching/virtues, the former taking on a role that priests have in other societies/races, the latter just accepting him and living by his name.

As the dwarfs also have negative habits, there would be deities for these aswell, ("Shakluz, The Father of Greed"), and some misguided dwarves following these aswell, although the major dwarf population would be ashamed of them and would try to make them non-existent by not mentioning them and repressing them. Don't some nice plot ideas pop up there...?

My ideas have kind of developed as i write, and I like the idea of those half-goddish founding fathers quite well...

I'm making more progress on the non-ecclesiastical groups - Rangers,
Alchemists, Half-Elvish shamanic traditions, etc. I have little more than
names for most of them, but that can change. In this area, the main
problem I've come across is the Elvish schools of magic. Any suggestions
would be appreciated, since I'm not sure how many to make, what they
should do, or even what to call them.

What comes to my mind straight away is to have four schools of magic after the four elements, as simple as that. Since other races wouldn't be organizing their mystical/special abilities in any way, I think it is only fair of the elves to have organised their ancient art into these schools. (except maybe the dwarves, but in a different way - see above ;) half-elves would be much to unorganised and natural for that, and the humans special talents are too young to have big history of alchemy or mechanics guilds)

Even if they are no great team-workers, a magic-practising elf would choose the school he feels most attracted to, and with that have something in common with anone else that followed this way - after all each element brings certain intersts/devotions with it, as the spells are different aswell. Of course he wouldn't just be limited to the spells of that particular school, and there are enough elves not being devouted to any school in particular, or even an individual going his own way, as Kai suggests (Again nice ideas for plots...somebody write this down! ;)

Elves of the school of earth would probably be as practical as an elf can get, and fire sorcerers would be more destructive and chaotic than the average elf, etc. Kai once had a pretty good summary of what each element stands for, I'll try to summarize what I can remember here (could you add to this Kai):

earth - construction, healing
fire - destruction, chaos, damage
water - illusion, changing
air - control

I think there are several reasons to have this principal for the elven schools of magic:
-we already have this division for spells, why not reuse it
-it's simple, easy to remember, fitting and everybody can identify with the idea (what with the four elements and such) -it gives the whole thing a certain edge and clarity, as in "Oh, he's from the school of fire, I know what I can expect from him!" This can then be used to find interesting diversions from this principle, the lone sage that couldn't identify with any of the schools teachings and founded is own wee order, or the corrupted sorcerer that sought control over all of the four elements...

Blabla. Enough of my talk, and they're only ideas, many ideas that kinda come pouring out as I write...

BEN