Re: [Adonthell-general] Sects and Factions

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Sects and Factions
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 11:46:33 +0200

On Thu, 22 Aug 2002 09:27:49 +0200 Nils Fohrbeck wrote:

> I think we canhave differnet kind of factions in Adonthell. Some of
> them are 'real' factions, while others are 'fake' ones (sounds stupid,
> I know).

Yeah, I thought of something along the same lines. Some factions would
really force you to, well, earn your membership and require continuous
efforts to keep it. Others you can join at will, and stay as long as you
don't break the rules, without any further obligations. That's more or
less dependant on the level of organization of a particular faction.

> One thing that just came to my mind is that we can actually combine
> factions and alignment.

Hm, I wouldn't do it that way, as it's just too restrictive. What we
could do is some faction-alignment for each faction in the game. Say a
value between 0 and 20, starting at 10. Each faction would have a
certain requirement for the player to join (and to stay a member). For
example the Holy Paladins would require a paladin-alignment of 15 to
join, while the Beggars take even people with beggar-alignment 5.

We can also check the alignment value of other factions when joining a
faction. For example, you can't join the thieves guild as long as your
city-guard-alignment is greater than 12. That way we can have multiple
factions influencing other factions, can have practically all actions of
the player influence his alignment with a certain faction, etc. That
way, we can probably do everything we want, and it would certainly not
be black and white. I.e. a cunning player might still manage to be
member of both city guard and thieves guild.

What do you think?