Re: Re: [Adonthell-general] Sects and Factions

From: Nils Fohrbeck
Subject: Re: Re: [Adonthell-general] Sects and Factions
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 10:46:03 +0200

address@hidden schrieb am 22.08.02 11:45:08:
> On Thu, 22 Aug 2002 09:27:49 +0200 Nils Fohrbeck wrote:
>
> > I think we canhave differnet kind of factions in Adonthell. Some of
> > them are 'real' factions, while others are 'fake' ones (sounds stupid,
> > I know).
>
> Yeah, I thought of something along the same lines. Some factions would
> really force you to, well, earn your membership and require continuous
> efforts to keep it. Others you can join at will, and stay as long as you
> don't break the rules, without any further obligations. That's more or
> less dependant on the level of organization of a particular faction.
>

> > One thing that just came to my mind is that we can actually combine
> > factions and alignment.
>
> Hm, I wouldn't do it that way, as it's just too restrictive. What we
> could do is some faction-alignment for each faction in the game. Say a
> value between 0 and 20, starting at 10. Each faction would have a
> certain requirement for the player to join (and to stay a member). For
> example the Holy Paladins would require a paladin-alignment of 15 to
> join, while the Beggars take even people with beggar-alignment 5.
>
> We can also check the alignment value of other factions when joining a
> faction. For example, you can't join the thieves guild as long as your
> city-guard-alignment is greater than 12. That way we can have multiple
> factions influencing other factions, can have practically all actions of
> the player influence his alignment with a certain faction, etc. That
> way, we can probably do everything we want, and it would certainly not
> be black and white. I.e. a cunning player might still manage to be
> member of both city guard and thieves guild.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Kai

Actually I was trying to describe somethink like that (not very successful I
must admit). What I meant with combining factions and alignment was that we can
use the same programm code and game mechanics for both general alignment as
well as faction alignment (which means for faction alignment we would also have
a number from -5 to +5). That way we do not need any extra coding, and the
player (as well as other developers) can easyly make his own factions.

IF A CHARATER  would want to be a member in two guilds that work against each
other that sould be no problem (he should be good with the charm skill though).
We could just add the characters charm skill to all his faction alignment
checks.

Example: A faction alignment check works the following way: Let us say that tom
is new in town, and he wants to join the guards (faction). His initial faction
alignment for the guards is 0. In order to join a faction, you need a positive
faction alignment for that faction (1 or higher), and because he does not have
any ranks in charm yet, he can not join.

After doing some jobs for the guards he gains a higher standing with them (+2).
Now he decides to join the thieves, but there his standing is very low (-2).
Still tom is able to join, because he has increased his charm skill (3 ranks),
which adds up to a faction alignment of 1 for the thieves (-2 + 3 = 1). Still
sooner or later serving two masters at once might cause some problems...

Jetzt testen fur 1 Euro! Ihr All-in-one-Paket!
https://digitaledienste.web.de/Club/formular/?mc=021106