Re: Re: [Adonthell-general] Sects and Factions

From: Nils Fohrbeck
Subject: Re: Re: [Adonthell-general] Sects and Factions
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 20:11:06 +0200

address@hidden schrieb am 23.08.02 11:41:05:
> On Fri, 23 Aug 2002 10:46:03 +0200 Nils Fohrbeck wrote:
>
> > Actually I was trying to describe somethink like that (not very
> > successful I must admit). What I meant with combining factions and
> > alignment was that we can use the same programm code and game
> > mechanics for both general alignment as well as faction alignment
> > (which means for faction alignment we would also have a number from -5
> > to +5). That way we do not need any extra coding, and the player (as
> > well as other developers) can easyly make his own factions.
>
> Right. Still, I think we shouldn't apply too strict rules in the case of
> faction alignment. Especially joining a faction might depend on more
> than the alignment. If a faction is for Dwarves only, your alignment can
> be as high as it will, you won't be able to join unless you are a Dwarf.
>

> I also think that we should handle it similar than we plan to do with
> the plot. A character that only behaved good so far won't get the same
> opportunities as an evil one and vice versa. For example, a character
> with guard-alignment 2 may still join the thieves, one with
> guard-alignment 5 may not. It simply wouldn't make any sense (unless
> he's schizophrenic).
>
> Also, as I see it, all these faction alignments are constantly changing
> with the player's actions, no matter whether he's a member or not. If
> you kill wild animals, your ranger-alignment would slowly decrease for
> example.
>

> All in all, I think those different faction-alignments are a very good
> way to describe a character's nature. They'll be very useful for all
> kinds of stuff. I guess they could even replace the ordinary alignment
> value. After all, a character's peronality isn't one-dimensional. And
> those faction-alignments would cover all game-relevant aspects of that
> personality. If we make proper use of them, this should allow a gameplay
> that is really tailored to a player's style of playing. A thief would
> find other quests and ways through the plot than a paladin. And for a
> necromancer it will be different again. And of course there will be many
> mixtures and all shades of grey. I really love that idea :).
>
> Maybe you want to add a section about this to the rules draft, Nils? And
> we could also apply these things to 0.4 plot (if everybody agrees with
> them).
>
> Kai

I candefinately add a section to the rules. The only problem is that I will
move next weekend. So I don't have too much time right now. I hope that next
month I will have more time for adonthell. I still have to do an item list as
well (I wanted to do this for a long time). But one thing is sure: Faction
alignment rules! (and yes, we might really want to leave the other alignment
away (let us see what the others think) since it is fairly unrealistic anyways).

Nils
Die witzigsten E-Mail-Adressen der Welt! 15 tolle Domains zur Auswahl!
Jetzt auswahlen unter http://digitaledienste.web.de/MyAdress/?mc=021102