Re: [Adonthell-general] Sects and Factions

From: Benjamin Walther-Franks
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Sects and Factions
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 21:46:47 +0200

I'm totally with you: Faction alignment certainly does rule! For all the reasons you listed. I also see your point about the elven magic schools, that they shouldn't be based on the elements. Now all we need to do is to get ir worked out in detail. Maybe I'll come up with a bit of writing sometime.

Some more random thoughts:

-Each faction needs a clear ideology. Its goals, views, beliefs, requirements to enter and stuff needs to be well documenetd in some plot writing of ours, suplemented by history and background (Andrew! :). Of course the player lacks the knowledge of all this and can only discover it bit by bit in the game (Dependant on the faction, some may keep their aims more concealed than others). Some good reasons for moving future disussion of this issue to the plot list, don't you think?

-You can have a good standing with the faction without having joined it. This doesn't apply to every faction, some (probably the more fanatic ones) would only appreciate you if you're one of them. Other factions may think highly of you but respect your independance. Every faction would have a maximum faction alignment value that a player can have without having joined them.

-I like Nils' idea of using the old alignment scale from -5 to 5, the player starting at 0.

-About checking for other factions when joining a faction: It wouldn't seem appropriate if at any time anyone can read your alignment "from you face", one should be able to conceal one's beliefs and intentions. I'm not quite sure how to handle this. Two possible solutions: 1) We go for Nils' ideas of using a characters charm skill as to how much he can "hide" his standing with the factions. We could even come up with a new lying skil for this or something. 2) We just say that up to a value of +3 a character can conceal (if he so wishes) his faction alignments, but 4 or 5 make him too obvious, marked or well-known. In just the same manner -4 and -5 make his bad standing with that faction obvious to anyone. Dunno really, any more ideas?

-One last thing: Are we gonna keep the term "faction alignment" or can anybody think of something better? I guess it's alright if after all we're dropping the old alignment.

Right, so now it's left to creating a whole nice bunch of factions! Whee...
The number of factions could be endless, but we should limit the number of important and powerful factions to something like twelve. It's impoprtant that these cover the main basic ideologies or religions we want to have. Then there could be dozens of other smaller ones which could pop up as we go along. That's room for really whacked stuff, huh?

Ben