RE: [Adonthell-general] Items

From: Andrew Michael Phillips
Subject: RE: [Adonthell-general] Items
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 13:29:50 -0500 (CDT)

> > I guess we can have different herbs and minerals that can be found in
> > the wild or bought off the Dwarves or people like Solmanus.

Any ideas on what minerals would go into which potions?
Might spells involve components?

> > > I think we should give that point some thought. In any  case, it should
> > > be really hard for the player to get that knowledge of other races
> > > special abilities, since it's something really, well, special. Maybe
> > > only if Marcella really pursues her roots and the doings of her mother
> > > (e.g. chat a lot with the witch and get high in her favour - plus some
> > > other related task).
> >
> > She also mustn't do anything evil, I'd say. That should make it quite
> > hard for people to receive this knowledge.
> > > But we should consider not making that option available at
> > all in 0.4. I mean, if people see this cross-blending of special
> > abilities in the demo, what will they expect from 1.0?
> >
> > This probably depends on how hard it is to gain these
> > abilities. I think both in 0.4 and 1.0 this should require great devotion
> > to a
> > faction and lots of disciplin. In other words, it should be _really_ rare.
> >
> > Another point is: what is so special about an Elven healing spell?
> > That's practically nothing. In 1.0, cross-blending might open
> > the way to much more impressive spells and abilities. If we allow that in
> > 0.4, we
> > can still top it in 1.0, I think.

I generally agree with Ben on this point. Should it possible for Marcella
to become a Green Sister during the course of v0.4?

> Okeydoke - we should then consider incorporating the idea of cross-blending
> in the rules, to make some general guidelines about it.
>
> But as you say it should require a certain devotion, and should stay a
> rarity: A healing spell probably isn't anything special, but a human
> practising magic woul be very special.

Again, I agree. I think this particular possibility, at least for v1.0,
should be conditional on joining or allying with a group. Joining one of
the mixed companies would be like dual or multiclassing, I guess. Or like
being in a hybrid class - paladins are both strong fighters and clerics,
for example.

> > > Also, I think the player will already have quite a lot of choices
> > > concerning specabs -
> > don't forget mechanics! With the player being able to decide between the
> > good and
> > > the evil path (s)he should also be able to decide wether to take the
> > > mystical
> >  or technical path. Not that you need to add or change anything to your
> > writing
> >  on Marcella, Andrew, we should just leave it up to the player what to do.
> > By saying that Marcella is eager to
> > > learn, this can be anything - alchemy, mechanics or just plain combat
> > > moves.
> >
> > Hm. I agree that there are plenty of choices already. But some more
> > wouldn't hurt, would they?
>
> Agreed :)  That would certainly add even more possibilites, and cool ones at
> that. There'd be spells or the likes that require ranks in elemental magic
> AND alchemy, or mechanics AND dwarf runes and so on.
>

> > All in all I think this is more a matter of time. For the beginning we
> > should concentrate on the things we really need. But if we have the
> > opportunity to include a song or spell, we can do it without causing
> > much harm, I think.

So, where should be concentrate first?

Andrew

--