grammatica-users

Re: [Grammatica-users] Comments and Questions

From: Per Cederberg
Subject: Re: [Grammatica-users] Comments and Questions
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 12:25:48 +0100

Hi Adrian!

On Sat, 2004-03-13 at 20:25, Adrian Moore wrote:
> First of all, thank you for making Grammatica available for others to
> use and contribute.
>
> I'm a big .NET fan, so the first think I did was convert the
> Grammatica code generator to compile using J# .NET 1.1 (Visual Studio
> 2003).  Works great!  Didn't take too long and only required minor
> changes.  I can mail the source and project files if you are
> interested.

Yes, it would be very interesting to see! Is it
"backwards-compatible" (or whatever you call it) with real Java?

BTW, I'm working on Linux (using Mono .NET) so Visual Studio
project files aren't so useful for me.

> I also add support to generate VB.NET files.

I'm no .NET expert, but if I understand correctly the C# source
code would be perfectly valid to call from VB.NET, right? Did
you do this just to be able to have a 100% VB source code project?
Or are there some other advantages?

Anyway, I guess it would always be interesting to add more
languages to the output layer.

> My interest is in parsing SQL syntax.  I noticed a known deficiency is
> case insensitive support.  I'm going to try to add this based on your
> comments in the bug.  If I'm successful, I'll contribute the changes.

It would be fantastic if you managed to fix this. Last I
looked at it, I didn't get any brilliant ideas, so it seemed
a bit cumbersome to implement. And that was only for string
(i.e. "blahblah") tokens. For regexp tokens (i.e. <<blahblah>>)
this will be even trickier to fix... (So don't be discouraged
if you run into problems!)

Anyway the regexp part of the tokenizer is pending a complete
rewrite to generate a DFA instead of using the current
structure. A DFA might be tricky to generate but should speed
up the tokenizer quite a bit once working correctly... But I've
been working 100% on another project for some time now, so I've
had little time for Grammatica the last six months or so. And
things doesn't look so bright ahead either, so everyone please
accept my apologies if I'm slow on answering mails and releasing
new versions.

Cheers,

/Per

PS. Adrian, the grammatica-users mailing list requires a
    subscription to post. Also, you might consider to subscribe
    in order to get future announcements and similar.