grammatica-users

Re: [Grammatica-users] Comments and Questions

From: Per Cederberg
Subject: Re: [Grammatica-users] Comments and Questions
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 10:00:20 +0100

On Mon, 2004-03-15 at 00:13, Adrian Moore wrote:
> > Yes, it would be very interesting to see! Is it
> > "backwards-compatible" (or whatever you call it) with real Java?
> Really, really, really close, but not quite.  Since Microsoft didn't fully
> implement Vectors in J#, I converted the code to use LinkedListed in order
> to lower the number of changes.  I also needed to import some .NET classes
> in order to make some things work.

Ok. In that case, I think the full C# port (bug #6966) is a
better option. But personally, I'd try to compile Grammatica
to a .exe with GCC for Java (gcj) under Windows first. That
might be an easier way to get at what you are really after
(something not requiring Java to run I guess).

> > BTW, I'm working on Linux (using Mono .NET) so Visual Studio
> > project files aren't so useful for me.
>
> No problem.  How 'bout a NAnt build file.  I'll include the Visual Studio
> project for those who do actually have it.

NAnt is very interesting...

> > I'm no .NET expert, but if I understand correctly the C# source
> > code would be perfectly valid to call from VB.NET, right? Did
> > you do this just to be able to have a 100% VB source code project?
> > Or are there some other advantages?
>
> 100% VB source code project.  No real advantage.  I'm a VB bigot ;-)

Ok, but I guess Grammatica could support VB anyway. Not too
much job to implement it... :-)

> > > My interest is in parsing SQL syntax.  I noticed a known deficiency is
> > > case insensitive support.  I'm going to try to add this based on your
> > > comments in the bug.  If I'm successful, I'll contribute the changes.
> >
> > It would be fantastic if you managed to fix this. Last I
> > looked at it, I didn't get any brilliant ideas, so it seemed
> > a bit cumbersome to implement. And that was only for string
> > (i.e. "blahblah") tokens. For regexp tokens (i.e. <<blahblah>>)
> > this will be even trickier to fix... (So don't be discouraged
> > if you run into problems!)
>
> It took me a few hours, but I have something working!!  Will provide a
> follow on e-mail with more info.

Cool!

Cheers,

/Per