Re: LYNX-DEV why not use shift-V to access multiple bookmarks list?

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV why not use shift-V to access multiple bookmarks list?
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 08:27:56 -0500 (EST)

  From: address@hidden (Larry W. Virden, x2487)

  What I mean is that in some manner, either at compile or run time, we
  should consider providing a way to make lynx as easy to use for the
  speech synthesisers as possible - if we are going to use this segment
  of the internet as a bargaining chip when harassing sites to make them
  lynx compatible.

There are two strategies I have been mulling:

        - define a capability-envelope for a virtual terminal class
        that at least 80% of the screen readers can use; use the
        TERMCAP/TERMINFO mechanism to tell lynx that this is what you
        have; let curses handle it.  This is eminently doable.  If
        for example Gregory and Patrick J. Burke agreed to lead a caucus in
        lynx-learners to define the virtual terminal, that would get
        done, and then they could explain what to do with the
        capabilities of that terminal.  This already would be a
        significant positive step.

        - [more work] Fote talked about six styles used in rendering
        UL.  If you study the problem, you realize that you want to
        tear up the display algorithms clear back before curses and use
        a different library of styles to present an HText in speech
        than on VT-100.  For example, a SELECT feature in the HText
        would be managed in the user dialog much the same as a
        vertically-stacked column of RADIO button options, where the
        speech user is able to index through the options and hear one
        at a time (possibly with pop out to wrapper, pop back to
        current index).

That's a dump of currently resident confusion on speech-friendly webbing
in this noggin.

Al Gilman
;
;