Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx and JavaScript -Reply

From: Scott McGee (Personal)
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx and JavaScript -Reply
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 19:22:43 -0700

Filip M Gieszczykiewicz <address@hidden> wrote:

>You (Doug Lawson) wrote:
>> On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Filip M Gieszczykiewicz wrote:
>> > custom comment line. I use:
>> > <!-- TLJSETDATE 01/01/01 -->
>>
>> OK, I'll bite - how are you processing this html (or proto-html) ?
>
>Greetings. Easy - with awk (or perl, but that doesn't work yet).

Shudder! You mean you have your server run awk over the file before it
serves it. That's even worse than server side includes that at least happen
inside the server. Please tell me you don't shell out do to it!

I guess, on a low volume site, that works just fine. I just don't want my
server doing all that extra processing for EVERY FILE SERVED.

Like I say, with 750 page being maintained by a couple dozen people, the only
realistic way to maintain consistant use of a last modified date on pages is
an automated one, and since I don't want to incure the overhead of server
side includes, javascript is it.

Scott

Scott McGee: Salt Lake Community College Webmaster | When in danger,