Re: LYNX-DEV colors in lynx 2.6

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV colors in lynx 2.6
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 21:47:34 -0500 (EST)

> > ...  Basically all it's (slang) doing is mapping the
> > 8 combinations of bold/underline/reverse into colors (more than 8, because
> > backgrounds are treated specially)...
>
> (What do you mean by "backgrounds are treated specially"?)
Most of what I worked out (for the slang implementation) is in my patch.
Basically, I constructed 16 color pairs (number '0' is special in curses,
so I numbered them 1-16).  This was for simplicity - I only used 9.
The #1 is used for the screen background. 9-16 are the ones that map the
text. One has to paint the background in SVr4 curses with a different
function-call from the text colors (I used bkgd and wattrset, respectively).

Bear in mind that there's lots of ways of doing it - I chose the one that
would impact the least code, since my objective was only to get a user
up & running with ncurses.

> I got slang and built it, then edited makefile and
> built lynx2.6 for 'sun4-slang'.
> I again tried various settings for the COLOR options in lynx.cfg with no
> effect.
>
> (Actually, there was one difference -- the highlighted text on the
> currently selected link is now black on red.  (Yuk.)  This doesn't change
> no matter what I do to the color options.  That's using TERM=vt220.
> When TERM=ansi, the screen is the same as in lynx2.5.)
Most vt220 terminal descriptions don't contain color (though you may have
a customized one).  DEC terminals implement color in the higher models,
but for our purposes, their implementation is unusable (4 colors).

btw, slang's implementation of color (afaik) is limited to ANSI colors
(there's a lot of what we used to call "hardcoded" stuff in there).
ncurses (SVr4 curses) is more flexible since it uses a lot more terminal
information - though it's not likely that you're trying to use an HP
terminal, for example, since you mention vt220.

> Obviously someone else has colors working.  What am I doing wrong?
I'd have to know what type of terminal or emulator you're running on to
advise you better.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden